Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Welcome Home mission you won't want to miss

First off - my apologies for not keeping up here on postings. There are definitely a few things that should have been posted in the News & Notes this month that haven't made it here yet. I'm going to start "catching up" with a note from one of our former board members, Dave "Wink" Winkler. He's a Vietnam Veteran who is representing us on a special committee, and I'll let his words tell you all about it.
--Monica


Welcome Home

The words "Welcome Home" have, for the Minnesota Patriot Guard, had special meaning this past year. We've welcomed home some 2600 Red Bulls a year ago and have had the pleasure of welcoming home hundreds more since then.

It's truly a happy time and my heart is lifted at the sight of a mother or father who gets the chance to hold their loved one so close after being gone serving their country. I think I've shed as many tears of joy at these missions, as I have tears of sadness at honor missions.

There are many reasons that we attend these missions. It's about honoring their service, letting them know that while they were away, they were not forgotten. We sent them off and were there for them showing our support for their service. We told them we'd be there when they came home, and we kept our word so it's about fulfilling a promise.

Some of us welcome these servicemen and women home and through that act receive a piece of a welcome home we didn't get. We want to make sure that what happened in the '60s and '70s doesn't ever happen again. We aren't bitter, not at all. We're so glad to be there for them.

In June 2009, we will have another opportunity to attend a welcome home mission. It's a special welcome home that's decades overdue and I want to make sure that you're all saving the 13th of June for Minnesota's official welcome home for Vietnam Veterans and those who served this great nation during that conflict. The Minnesota Patriot Guard has been asked to do what we do best, show honor and respect for our troops. We're honored by the invitation and gladly accept.

Over the next months, you'll begin to see and hear more about the event. I'll do my best to let you all know as many details as I can. At this time, what I can tell you is that this has all the makings of a huge event and one you won't want to miss.

Thank you for all you do for our troops and this great nation.

If you have any questions, send me an email at bigboar06@hotmail.com and I'll do my best to answer.

Ride safely. See you at the next mission.

Wink