Monday, December 22, 2008

Standing in a flag line

Tim Leonhardt, our IT person and Metro NW ARC sent the following:

Standing in a flag line we don't see what is going on in the people minds as they walk by. I have wondered at times why a soldier would walk by with their head down, avoiding eye contact. I got my answer at the FPA held at the convention center, I had a captain tell me that his soldiers feel so emotional when they see us standing in honor for them they don't know how to respond. He went on to say that the soldiers are strong, proud, and pride themselves on being prepared for everything. But when they see you standing there holding a flag in their honor, they are caught off guard and they realize that they have a vulnerability. Some just look down to hide what they feel is a weakness and have no eye contact so we can't see the emotions they are having. Sounds familiar doesn't it? only we hide ours behind sunglasses.

Thanks Tim.

I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah.