Happy 2013!! The past year saw us conducting over 400 missions & events across the state, and we expect 2013 to be around the same. Wonderful things happen when our hearts and hands are helping those who serve and have served. If you have not had the opportunity to attend a mission, we'd welcome you to attend.
We periodically get asked what we do with the money that we receive in donations, store sales, and from the Patriot Ride and what some of those organizations do. Here are a few of the things we support:
- Half of the proceeds from the Patriot Ride are donated to the MMAF (Minnesota Military Appreciation Fund). This is also the fund that any deployed military person from MN can apply for $500.00 as a thank you for their service from our great state! Amounts increase if injured.
- MMFF (MN’s Military Family Foundation) also recieves funds. They help military families in crisis - it’s a quick turn around of funds to get them on their feet, and may include car repairs, groceries, furnance or other appliance repairs, etc.
- We use a little over $8,000.00 annually at our Vet Homes, for things like bingo, and food for BBQ’s and cook-outs. And we donate a little over $3,000.00 annually to our Veteran/Disabled Veteran Hunts (turkey, pheasant, deer hunts)
- Flags for the MN Fallen - this is a nation wide group that donates a large flagpole and flag for our Gold Star families, to be placed where they choose. Here in MN, we cover the cost for our MN KIA’s.
- Internal costs for things such as our webpage and email system, insurance, legal fees, postage, our Post Office box. We also have mission expenses for things such as the plaques & coins given at missions to families of our KIA’s or current serving military.
- we also donate to things such as the 34th Division Chaplain Fund, Disabled Vets Rest Camp, Project Backpack, TTTT Education Fund, AUSA Toys for Military Kids, Wreaths Across America/Wreaths for the Fallen, etc. This year we also started donating to official military unit Dining In’s/Outs to assist those in the rank of E4 and below to attend these military events steeped in tradition.
- Another special project we donated to in 2012, was towards a KIA Memorial being placed at Camp Ripley, honoring our Red Bulls that paid the ultimate price since the War on Terror.
For other news
:- Several of you have inquired whether a patch will be made by the MN PG for sale in honor of Jack Foster. After discussion, it was decided that In Memory Of and In Honor Of patches are available at our MN PG store, with the MN PG logo in the background - very fitting for Jack. Since these patches are already available, it was determined that an extra patch will not be made/offered. There is no way for us to determine need/want to avoid having extra patches with a name on them, nor to know how many specific named patches may be needed in future.
- We have some book writers among us! Ron Mackadanz (Bandido Mack) has written a book about his experiences in Vietnam, including his receipt of the Silver Star some 40 years later! Many of you have been anxiously awaiting his book. To order one of his books, send $20.00 to Ron Mackedanz at PO Box 251, Kandiyohi, MN 56251 and Ron will send you a signed copy.