Friday, January 23, 2015

New President of MN Patriot Guard

Happy winter all!

I was recently asked if I would be willing to serve as President of the MN Patriot Guard again.  This position is separate from the most important role of being involved in the Missions that we cover so well here in Minnesota.   The role of the President is really to make sure the office is in order.  Bills paid, insurance in place, donations considered and qualified by the Board of Directors before granting, web site running, store operations, taxes filed, and non-profit status kept in good standing.  I am not on the Board of Directors so do not have a vote on anything but am part of making sure all the rules are followed.

The Leadership Team and Board of Directors voted to accept me in this role and I am honored to play this small part in what we do.

A Ride Captain asked me a very good question before he voted.  I stepped down a few years ago because I was burned out from all the Missions and the requirements as President.  He asked what had changed that I was willing to do this.  This role is not nearly as demanding as a Missions role and can be done at night and on weekends.  I have the time and the love of the MN Patriot Guard and its Mission remains.  If I can help I'd like to.

My first Mission was July 3, 2006, in Ladysmith, WI.  I will never forget the day and the change it brought to my life.  It is Mission First, Mission Last.  It's what we do and all we do.  The role of President is small in comparison to the people who can go to Missions when many of us can't because of work and family.  Thank you members for being there.

I want to give my support and appreciation to State Captain Karla Richardson and the Missions Leadership team for doing a great job in these changing times.  When I met Karla for the first time on a snowy day in Frazee I knew she would do a great job.

I want to say "Thank You" to Tim Leonhardt.  Tim has done more for this organization than any of us could know or appreciate.  So many things in the background on top of stepping into roles he didn't want but somebody had to at the time.  I have ridden many miles with the Drifter and look forward to doing that again with him.  He has had my back and he is my brother.

We are a family.  We have had our differences.  We have mended those differences.  We have moved on.  We do this because we love what the Mission stands for.

See you on the flag line....
 
Doug Bley
President, MN Patriot Guard
Former Minnesota State Captain