Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Warmth in the Deep Freeze

Many of you stood recently in subzero temperatures to honor Joshua Anderson and Matthew Pionk. We can't thank you enough.

The mission for Matthew in Superior was truly bone-chilling, with temps of -22 and windchills of -50. If you haven't seen the mission report from RCs Pete Prudhomme and Denny Padora, it's worth the read. PGR members (I know Denny among them) were asked to help carry Matthew into the church the morning of his funeral. What an honor.

I am told that one man stood the flag line for Joshua Anderson a week after having open heart surgery. (Sir, I want to both berate you and salute you for that. You amaze me, and you scared a couple of RCs.)

Joshua's mother Lynn made the rounds of the flag line more than once each time the PGR stood for her son. She sent the following letter to RC John Redfield.

I'm not sure which "Santa Claus" she refers to, since there is more than one white beard in our crowd. Maybe it was a quiet guy named Gene who shows up without fanfare at countless missions...or maybe it was someone else. Whoever you are, you and many others made a difference to a Proud Mom.

I just want to say Thank you again for being there for our son. All of you guys were so loving and supportive. By the end of the 3 days I felt like you were all family.

I almost hated saying goodbye at Fort Snelling. I truly missed hugging Santa Claus for the last time, I missed him being there. I really just can't say thank you enough, I salute all of you and am glad there is a group like you. God Bless you all.

Lynn Anderson
Proud MOM of SPC Joshua Anderson