Saturday, March 13, 2010

A heart filling email

We are so busy with missions and ride plans that we can forget just what we do. After a tough couple days this email came in and reminded me that we touch so many people and don't know it. That sometimes one person isn't happy about how we do it isn't nearly as important as the people we help raise up.

Thank you to all of you for being part of this great cause...
=============================

By way of introduction, My name is XXX XXXX. I recently requested Patriot Guard support at my brother XXXXX XXX's funeral at Ft. Snelling on XXX XX, 2010. I was so moved and honored by the involvement of the MN Patriot Guard that I decided to join you. Personally there was a lot of healing for me that day both regarding the loss of my brother, and my own past experiences.

I served in the US Navy Submarine Service in the Tonkin Gulf from 1966 to 1969 on 2 different Diesel-Electric Subs. I was honorably discharged from active duty as an MM2SS (E5) in January 1969. My welcome back home to the States was to an anti Viet Nam War protest at the Greyhound Bus Depot in San Francisco. Through the years, I decided to put that behind me and go on with life. What I experienced on February 19, 2010 did a lot to finally complete the healing process, and I really want to be part of bringing that feeling to others like me. I am very pleased with the way our attitude towards the present military has become and how the Patriot Guard supports them.

Tomorrow I plan to be part of the Mission in Bemidji to honor William Lawrence. Two of my close friends are Patriot Guard Riders from this area, and are helping to 'teach me the ropes', and get me started. I am looking forward to this opportunity.

XXXXXX XXXXXXXX