Monday, December 10, 2007

Winter Missions

During the summer months when we are able to ride our motorcycles to missions, it's easy to jump on the bike, ride the 25-250 miles to attend a mission. Standing outside in the hot sun is also relatively easy if you remember to drink plenty of water so you don't dehydrate. Plus you get to ride through the countryside and witness that awesome scenery that Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Nebraska has to offer.

But we live in Minnesota and so the riding season comes to an end unfortunately. But those brave young men and women who defend our freedoms don't have the luxury to stop what they are doing, so our services are required during the winter months too.

I know it's difficult to take time off from work, I know it's a lot more expensive to drive that car, pickup or SUV than it is to ride the motorcycle. And I know that standing on the flag line isn't nearly as much fun when it's cold outside, and/or snowing. I hate when I can't feel my fingers, or my toes. But if that's the inconvenience I have to endure for a couple hours to pay Honor and Respect for that fallen hero, it's a no brainer for me. That fallen hero gave his/her life to protect me and my freedoms. So getting a little cold really isn't that much of a sacrifice on my part.

If you can get some of your buddies from your sector to join you in the car, y'all can share the cost of gas, making it easier to attend those winter missions. Yes it takes a little more work, but I can promise you it sure means a whole heck of a lot to the families and communities when they see us standing on that flag line when it's snowing or cold outside.

We all live in Minnesota, so we already have the cold weather gear we need to stay warm. Those of us with snowmobiles definitely have the gear!

So next time there's an honor mission and you think "It's too cold," please remember how much it means to the families. I know it will warm your heart to let the family feel that someone cares about their loved one, and the sacrifice they made for our country.

George
--
George H Winslow, Jr.
Minnesota Assistant State Captain